Brewster Community Learning Center
In Brewster, our schools are the center of community life operating not only to educate young people by preparing them for life, work and future learning, they are also places for the community to participate in afternoon, evening and summer programs for children and adults. The Brewster Board of Education acknowledged this through the creation of the Brewster Community Learning Center, which offered its first course on April 3, 2017. Here are a few facts that support why the development of this program was approved:
- Community education programs have been around since the 1960s to serve the evolving needs of residents.
- The average age of a resident in Brewster is approximately 41.1. This group is active and interested in ongoing learning.
- According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the life expectancy for females is 83.6 and for males 78.8. Over the last decade, this number has steadily increased.
- As people live longer, they want to pursue personal and professional interests well after retirement.
- According to the most recent census data, about 60% of our homeowners either no longer have children who attend our schools or their children attend private schools.
The purpose of the Brewster Community Learning Center is to provide twelve month learning and exploration opportunities for adults and children in the school district. Our goal is to eventually become self-sufficient thus minimally impacting the general budget. Courses will be offered in one or several of the school buildings. Residents and non-residents will be able to register for courses in a number of areas of interest ranging from fitness and wellness classes to digital learning.
You may Register:
- By Mail
- In person – visit Donna Tarallo BCLC at the District Office,
30 Farm to Market Road, M-Fri 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM
- Use the MySchoolBucks online payment system
- Proof of age verification is required
***Register before September 5, 2017 – receive 5 percent discount***
- Please note: Only one discount per registrant is permitted.
- A 30% discount will be offered to residents who are 60 years or older. Proof of eligibility is required. (You may also pick up a Silver Bear discount card from Ms. Susan Gavin, Secretary to the Superintendent at the District Office, 30 Farm to Market Road, M-Fri, 8:30 am – 2:30 pm.)
- A 10% discount will be offered to employees of the Brewster Central School District. Proof of eligibility is required.
- No discounts are available on courses for children.
- A resident and non-resident course fee will apply. Proof of residency is required.
- A minimum of ten course takers is needed to run a course except for where indicated. Notifications will be made a week prior to session if course is canceled and all money will be refunded.
- After a course has reached its maximum enrollment, a wait list will be maintained.
- After the courses start, no walk-ins are permitted.
- The course fees are non-refundable but a pro rated credit will be issued to apply to another course within the program, with no expiration date, if for any reason you cannot complete the course.
- When the school district is closed for holidays or inclement weather, the Brewster Community Learning Center is also closed.
Interested in Teaching a Course for BCLC?
- Fill out the Non-Instructional Employment Application.
- Please attach a description of the class you would like to teach, along with your resume.
- You may send or bring it to the Brewster Central School District Office (Attention: Bonnie Palumbo and/or Donna Tarallo) for review OR scan and email all information directly to email@example.com
Brewster Community Learning Center
845-279-3702 ext. 7573
Senior Clerk, BCLC
845-279-8000 ext. 6123
Courses and Forms
- 2017 Fall Course Listing
- 2017 Fall Course Listing (Spanish)
- Non-Instructional Employment Application
- Registration Form
- Registration Form (Spanish)