Policy 6175: Personnel Recruiting and Hiring
The Brewster Central School District believes that the quality of the District’s employees determines the quality of our students’ academic and social-emotional experience at school. As such, it is the responsibility of the District to maintain and recruit qualified personnel who possess the appropriate certification(s) and qualifications. A high quality recruitment and hiring process is essential to attract, secure and retain the most qualified personnel to meet the needs of students and the District.
Sound pedagogy and content expertise are essential attributes for a highly qualified candidate. The District is also mindful of the ethnic and racial diversity of our student demographic and recognizes that all candidates, irrespective of race, ethnicity or religion, must possess the cultural competency necessary to work with a diverse community of students.
Through established recruiting and hiring procedures, the Superintendent of Schools or designee will ensure that candidates for District employment meet all the minimum qualifications defined in the job posting. The District will comply with all the requirements of the Education and Civil Service laws, including any fingerprinting requirements. The Superintendent of Schools or designee will recommend individuals for employment to the Board of Education for appointment. The Board must approve all individuals prior to beginning employment in the District.
Adopted: 10/10/2000 Reviewed: 4/24/2017 Revised: 3/23/21
Profile of the Brewster Instructional Candidate
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate sound pedagogy that illuminates student-centered instructional practices.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate a commitment to culturally responsive education whereby structural practices that promote inclusion and equity are clearly communicated.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate a commitment to social-emotional learning whereby structural practices that illuminate emotional intelligence, emotional regulation and mental health are communicated.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate content expertise whereby a genuine passion and scholarship for the candidate’s content area is revealed.
Profile of the Brewster Administrative Candidate
- A proven instructional leader who fully understands best practices of instruction with a focus on student-centered pedagogy.
- A strong communicator who recognizes the necessity of building consensus and ensuring equity of voice within the school community.
- A visible and approachable leader characterized by patient listening and thoughtful decision-making.
- A leader who is fully invested in representing the needs of all students and families within a diverse school community.
- A leader who recognizes the value of inclusivity and equity in shaping a successful school culture and climate.
- A change agent and scholar-practitioner who utilizes sound data to inform decision-making when instituting academic and organizational change.
- A leader who exemplifies humility and integrity, mindful of the necessity of joy and laughter when leading complex change.
An Equal/Affirmative Action Employer
The Brewster Central School District does not discriminate on the basis of Age, Race, Color, National Origin, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Disability or Marital Status in employment or any of the educational programs and activities which it offers or operates, as it is required to do by the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and the New York State Human Rights Laws.
Brewster's Recruitment Platforms
Brewster is a participating district in the Lower Hudson Valley On-line System for Educators. This is a free service to teacher candidates seeking employment in the region. Interested candidates can submit an application through OLAS.
Additionally, Brewster utilizes RecruitFront in its efforts to secure high quality applicants. All candidates must complete an application through RecruitFront that can be found here.