What are signs of the flu?
• Get the seasonal flu vaccine for yourself.
• Encourage your child’s close contacts to get seasonal flu vaccine, too. This is very important if your child is younger than 5 or if he or she has a chronic health problem such as asthma (breathing disease) or diabetes (high blood sugar levels). Because children under 6 months can’t be vaccinated, they rely on those around them to get vaccinated.
• Wash your hands often and cover your coughs and sneezes. It’s best to use a tissue and quickly throw it away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands. Tis will prevent the spread of germs.
• Tell your children to:
• Stay away from people who are sick;
• Clean their hands often;
• Keep their hands away from their face, and
• Cover coughs and sneezes to protect others.