Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy & Security
Legislation was recently enacted requiring the posting of a “Parental Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security” on district websites. The mandatory transmission of student data points to third party clearinghouses was also eliminated, as a result of this legislation.
The Bill of Rights contains important information regarding confidentiality and security of student data, as well as procedures to ensure that student data provided to third party contractors with the District will remain confidential.
- Some of the highlights of the legislation include the following:
- student data cannot be sold or released for commercial purposes;
- parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record;
- State and federal law protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and that safeguards to protect personally identifiable information are utilized by the school district (e.g., encryption, firewalls, and password
- a list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public
- parents have the right to have complaints addressed about possible breaches of student data.
You can read the entire bill of rights on the NYSED website.
To view a list of our District's approved apps, click here.
Should you have any questions, please contact:
Director of Technology & Innovation
Brewster High School
50 Foggintown Road
Brewster, NY 10509
845-279-5051, ext. 1157