AP Exam Information
WHAT IS AN ADVANCED PLACEMENT COURSE?
Advanced Placement or AP courses are college-level courses taken at the high school level. Some courses have prerequisites and some are based on self-selection. Each course culminates with an AP Exam developed by the CollegeBoard.
Brewster High School currently offers 15 AP courses:
Art, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics II, Physics C Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism, Computer Science A, Computer Science Principles, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, World History: Modern, and US History.
WHY TAKE ADVANCED PLACEMENT COURSES?
- EXPOSURE TO COLLEGE LEVEL COURSEWORK
- BUILD ACADEMIC STAMINA
- OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN, PRACTICE, AND APPLY COLLABORATION, CRITICAL THINKING, PERSEVERANCE
- EARN COLLEGE CREDIT, ADVANCED PLACEMENT
- STUDY A SUBJECT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT IN DEPTH
PRACTICES AND EXPECTATIONS OF THE ADVANCED PLACEMENT STUDENT
- DISPLAY PROSOCIAL BEHAVIORS
- MANAGE TIME AND MEET DEADLINES
- BE PREPARED AND TAKE ACCOUNTABILITY
- COMPLETE ALL WORK WITH HONESTY AND INTEGRITY
- PLAN TO WORK HARD AND BE CHALLENGED
- FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE PROCESS OF AN AP COURSE. STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO ENROLL IN THE COURSE, COMPLETE THE COURSE WORK AND TAKE THE EXAM.
WHAT DOES AN AP EXAM LOOK LIKE?
- EACH EXAM IS 2-3 HOURS WITH A BREAK
- TOTAL TIME IS USUALLY 3.5 TO 4.O HOURS
- PART 1 - MULTIPLE CHOICE SCORE IS BASED ON CORRECT ANSWERS
- PART 2- FREE RESPONSE SUCH AS AN ESSAY, SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM, PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION (Computer Science Principles, Art)
HOW DO I REGISTER AND PAY FOR AP EXAMS?
- ONLINE EXAM REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT LINK
- EXAM REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT PERIOD: Begins on August 25, 2023, at 7:00 AM through College Board and ends on November 16, 2023 at 3:00 PM
- LATE FEE CHARGE: Registration & payment after November 16, 2023 will incur a $40 late fee per exam from the College Board
- November 16, 2023, at 11:59 PM: Registrations that have not been paid for (unless communicated with AP coordinator) will be canceled, exams will NOT be ordered, and students' averages will not be weighted.
- IMPORTANT: REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT IS A 2-STEP PROCESS. STUDENTS MAY REGISTER IN CLASS THROUGH COLLEGE BOARD AND PARENTS PAY THROUGH THE TOTAL REGISTRATION LINK ABOVE.