What is BEARS?
- BEARS is an acronym for actions that can be taken during a Lockdown in order to increase survivability during an active threat inside of our building.
- Until now, we have trained our faculty, staff and students to lock the door and hide in a corner.
- LOCKDOWN IS NOT ENOUGH
- B - Barricade
- E - Evacuate
- A - Advise
- R - React
- S - Silence
This is not to be used as a step-by-step method.
- If you are forced to remain inside of the building during an active threat.
- This should be done in all rooms regardless of type.
- Inward opening interior doors to be barricaded with tables, chairs, filing cabinets, etc.
- Outward opening doors to be tied closed.
- If you know that the treat is in another part of the building.
- If you reasonably believe it is safe to evacuate.
- If you are already outside the building (i.e. gym class, Environmental Science).
- Classrooms with exterior doors (chorus/band)
- Relay information that may be helpful to mitigate the threat.
- During a Lockdown, any information that can be relayed to 911 about the event.
- IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING
- What do you do if confronted with an armed threat?
- Silence your cell phone.
- It is unreasonable to expect anyone to turn off their phone.
- By silencing your phone, you can still use it to communicate (advise) without a sound.